You may already have heard that some of your classmates who toil away at the Spartan Daily were recently honored for their work at the California College Media Association’s annual awards banquet in San Diego.
Spartan Daily staffers received nine CCMA awards, including:
- Stephanie Wong and Christiana Cobb shared the first place award for Best Special Section for putting together the Daily‘s food issue
- Raphael Kluzniok took two awards — first place for Best Sports Photo and third place for Best News Photo
- Codi Mills won two awards — a second place for Best Photo Series and third place for Best Sports Photo
- Carolyn Seng took second place for Best Features Photo
- Leeta-Rose Ballester was honored for her story on a family of farm workers
Keynote CCMA speaker was Margaret Sullivan of the New York Times. She recently posted a column, “Lodestars in a murky media world,” based on her CCMA presentation and some of the discussions she had with those in attendance. In it, she talks about the changing media landscape and what it means for recent grads and current journalism majors. She also highlights the journalistic values she thinks will remain important for the next generation of journalists. Check it out.