Extra credit options
The last day to submit anything for extra credit for this class is Monday, Dec. 8. As previously noted, you can submit up to 30 points worth of extra credit.
Your extra credit options are:
- Copy Edit the World: You are required to submit 30 points worth of Copy Edit the World (with your corrections) for this class. If you get on a roll, you can submit up to 15 more points worth of Copy Edit the World for extra credit.
- Common Sayings: Look up the meaning and origins of up to three common sayings (or unusual phrases). Each one is worth five points for up to 15 points extra credit. One that we discussed in class was “a long row to hoe,” which turned out not to mean or be spelled the way most of you expected. For a good example of this option, you might want to check out Colette’s recent “sayings” submission on her blog.
- IMHO: Write a second In My Humble Opinion. (See the assignments page for specifics of this option.)
- Letter to the Editor: Write a letter to the editor to the Spartan Daily or a local newspaper (or to the CSU Board of Trustees or your state legislator). Your letter should be 125-250 words; it’s worth up to 15 points). If you’re looking for topic inspiration, check out these two articles:
- Poll: Californians say public colleges need more state funding — but won’t pay for it, by Katy Murphy, published Dec. 2 in the San Jose Mercury News
- If tech companies wanted to end online harassment, they could do it tomorrow, by Jessica Valenti, published Dec. 1 in The Guardian