I’ve been getting some questions about extra credit options for this class, so here they are. You may submit up to 30 points worth of extra credit, in any combination. All extra credit submissions are due by Wednesday, May 12. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Copy Edit the World: You are required to submit 30 points worth of Copy Edit the World errors (with your corrections) for this class. If you get on a roll, you can submit up to 15 more points worth of Copy Edit the World for extra credit.
- Letter to the Editor: Write a letter to the editor and get it published in the Spartan Daily or another local newspaper. (100-150 words, 10 points)
- Personal Obituary: Write your own obituary. Imagine for yourself a full, rewarding and interesting life. Please read some obituaries before writing your own, and be sure to take note of the difference between obituaries (written by journalists) and death notices (written by a family member). I’ll be looking for an obituary, not a death notice. (250-350 words, 15 points)
- Similes & Metaphors: Collect some similes and metaphors that you find to be particularly striking and effective. These examples should be gleaned from your daily reading – from books, newspapers, magazines, or web sites. Type up each example, note the source and whether it’s a simile or metaphor, and briefly explain why you think it works. That is, explain how it clarifies or enlivens the common and familiar, and allows the reader to “see, hear, smell and feel” what is being described. Please note: handing in a list of examples plucked from a “simile/metaphor” web site will garner you no credit for this assignment. (5 points per pair – that is, one simile and one metaphor. You can submit up to three pairs for a maximum of 15 points)
- Write a Review: Write a review of a current film, theater production, television series, music performance or video game. Be sure to read some reviews first; this should be a critical review and analysis, not just a plot summary. (350-500 words, 20 points)